The demand for cloud specialists and cloud developers keeps increasing every year. As more and more companies adopt cloud-based solutions to solve their business management problems and gain efficiency, cloud developers have more opportunities today than before. Here is a step by step guide on how to become a cloud developer. But before that, let’s understand what is cloud development and what are the responsibilities and duties of a cloud developer.
Cloud Application Developers
Cloud development involves the design, construction, and development of a cloud architecture. This cloud architecture is necessary for the implementation and structuring of cloud delivery models such as IaaS, SaaS and PaaS. The development model also includes critical tasks such as connecting external vendor data centers to the user organization’s network, creating recovery plans for critical times, and managing network bandwidth.
What is the role of a cloud developer?
Cloud developers build and design websites, programs, and apps from scratch using templates and other resources. A professional cloud developer is an expert in cloud applications and software. They are responsible for creating and maintaining the cloud infrastructure.
How to become a cloud developer?
The first step to becoming a professional cloud developer is to understand your role. Cloud developers are given a challenging set of responsibilities.
You should focus on building skills to build compelling cloud applications using the resources available on a given cloud platform. You also need to track and trace program errors and ensure program code is debugged immediately. Additionally, you should also have a deep and clear understanding of how the various Cloud Developer tools and services work and how to leverage them to make the right business decisions.
Certified cloud professionals are responsible for ensuring easy scalability and impregnable security of cloud applications. These roles are typically assigned to advanced-level cloud professionals.
Now that you have a clear idea of the broader role a cloud developer is expected to play, let’s find out what steps you need to take to enter this profession.
How to Become a Cloud Developer – Requirements
The essential qualification to become a cloud developer is experience in advanced programming skills. You must also master at least one programming language.
Cloud developers typically advance in the profession by joining an organization and learning the basics of cloud computing. You need to know how to write code, design and develop software, and keep honing your skills as you progress.
Qualifications for a cloud developer
For a career in Cloud Computing, you must have a graduate degree in computer science or other related fields. You can opt for a master’s degree in a similar field, but it is not compulsory. A master’s degree will add more weight to your resume.
Additionally, let’s check the qualifications required to enter this cloud career:
- Proficiency in at least one programming language
- A clear understanding of software and database development concepts
- Cloud infrastructure basics
- Networking skills
- Basic knowledge of hypervisor, data visualization and related technologies
Now that you know the skills and qualifications needed to become a cloud developer, let’s take a look at the most important certifications required by the industry. If you have any, the chances of get a job as a cloud developer in a leading organization can improve dramatically.
Cloud developer certifications
- It would be helpful if you tried to obtain Amazon Web Services (AWS) certifications, such as AWS Certified Developer Associate for cloud development roles and AWS Certified DevOps Engineer.
- Microsoft Azure provides two certifications for similar roles. These are AZ-400: Microsoft Azure DevOps Solutions and AZ-203: Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure for Azure Developers.
- Google Cloud offers certifications such as Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer for individuals at the associate level and Google Cloud Certified Professional Cloud Developer for individuals at the professional level.
- Cisco cloud certifications such as CCNA and CCNP are also in high demand.
The above are all highly reputable and trusted platforms to get the relevant certifications. If you have a few or any of them, you can quickly get a head start on your efforts to become a cloud developer and build a career in this field. These certifications will help potential employers assess your skills in various technical areas.
Next, you need to know the different skills needed to become a cloud development professional.
Cloud Developer Skills
To become a competent cloud developer, you must develop the following skills. This will greatly improve your chances of be selected from a highly competitive pool.
- Comprehensive expertise in cloud architecture concepts and services
- Setting up the cloud environment and configuring it
- Implementation of cloud solutions
- Ensure that a given solution is successfully implemented
- Build scalable cloud apps with easy access
- Integration of vendor-specific cloud services
- Cloud application performance management and monitoring
It is evident that the demand for cloud developers and engineers will increase over the next few years as technological advancements occur unabated. Using the guidelines suggested here, you can chart your career path to becoming a cloud engineer. Remember that it will take time to acquire the relevant skills and certifications. So be patient and stay focused on your goals.