Minecraft has been one of the most popular sandbox games for decades. People from all platforms enjoy the game and continue to do so. While being a popular game, it is also known to have bugs and glitches throughout the game. It is no surprise that people have encountered bugs and errors frequently while trying to play the game.
One of those bugs that PC gamers face, where they sometimes can’t connect to their Minecraft – and get the error message saying “Something went wrong with the login process.“This error is the result of several things, such as an outdated Minecraft launcher or a faulty Microsoft store.
The problem may seem complicated, but don’t worry. This guide goes over all the possible causes and how to fix them.
Probable causes of the problem
Several things could explain why you might be facing this error. Things like unstable internet connection, random account issues, bugs in the Microsoft store, or just server maintenance can be the cause of the problem. However, there may be other reasons like:
- Weak internet connection.
- Buggy Minecraft launcher.
- Malfunction of Xbox / Microsoft services.
- Server under maintenance.
How to fix “Something went wrong with the login process” in Minecraft?
Due to the nature of the problem, it is not possible to find the exact solution, so you will have to go through all the methods and see which one works for you.
Repair and Reset Minecraft Launcher
Before going through any other technical troubleshooting method, try repairing/resetting the launcher. If there is a problem with your Minecraft launcher, this fixes the problem. To repair and reset the launcher, the steps are as follows:
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings menu.
- Then click on apps > Apps and Features.
- Search for Minecraft Launcher and click Advanced options.
- Hurry Repair so what Reset.
- Try running the launcher now and see if it works or not.
Check Minecraft Server Status
Sometimes there are ongoing issues and bugs in the server itself. Although not always the case, such bugs can sometimes lead to a connection failure. To check for current bugs or errors, visit their Twitter support.
Reset Microsoft Store
Since most PC users get Minecraft through the Microsoft store, there might be some store-related corrupted files that are causing the problem. In any case, sometimes resetting the Microsoft store can fix the problem.
To reset Minecraft Store, follow these steps:
- Open the Run command line by pressing Windows key + R.
wsresetthen press Enter.
- A black window should appear, let it run for about a minute.
- When the process is complete, Microsoft Store opens.
- You can now try running Minecraft and see if it worked.
Sometimes when an update is pending, it can result in a logging error. So make sure you always install the latest game updates.
To check if there are any pending updates, follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Store and navigate to Library.
- Click on Get updates.
- If there were any pending updates, this will now update them.
Install the Xbox app
The Xbox app on Windows is for playing/managing games on your PC. Since you use the Microsoft account to sign in to the app, your Minecraft credentials are tied to the app as well.
And if you have missing important Xbox apps then this can cause the problem.
To check and download these apps, follow these steps:
- Download the Xbox app via the Microsoft Store or the official page.
- Launch the Xbox app.
- If you see a pop-up message saying “Missing key applications or dependencies”, install them.
- Once the installation is complete, check if the problem still persists.
If you don’t get the pop-up message, you can also check manually. Do this:
- On the Xbox app, click the profile name in the upper right corner.
- Move towards General under settings.
- If any apps are missing, they are listed there.
- Hit Install.
To note: Usually apps like Xbox Identity Provider and Live in-game experience are missing on your PC.
Enable game services
Game Services is a Microsoft service used when running Xbox games. If installing the prerequisite apps didn’t work, try checking the current status of the game service. Often the problem occurs because the service is configured to be disabled.
To check the current position of the service, do the following:
- Right-click on the Start button and click Task Manager.
- Under the Services tab, search
- In the Status column, check the current condition.
- If he says ‘Stopped’right click and press Begin.
Start Xbox Services
If enabling Game Services didn’t work, try running Xbox Services and see if that fixes the problem. Xbox has a bunch of services running in the background which helps the app run error free. Sometimes these services do not work and cause problems such as connection errors.
To activate the Xbox service, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + S and type Services.
- Search for services starting with Xbox.
- Right click on it and Properties.
- Then set the startup type to Automatique.
- Then hit Begin > Apply.
- Do this for each Xbox service and exit.
Restart your PC and check if that fixed the problem.
Sometimes the “Something went wrong in the login process” error message could be the result of something else. In most cases, reinstalling the game launcher fixes the problem. Uninstall the game and re-download it from the Microsoft store or the official Minecraft site.
Alternatively, you can also use third-party launchers like MultiMC, if vanilla launchers don’t work.
Use another client
If you cannot solve the problem, try using another client. Instead of Xbox/Microsoft to launch the game (which is probably causing the problem), use clients like; Badlion, Forge, Lunar or any popular Minecraft client.
These third-party clients have their own resource packs and optimizations in the form of “mods”. These mods are there to eliminate any risk of error and bug.
To download third-party clients, I suggest you search some of them on Google and find the right one for you.